Photographer Unknown

We arrived home last night, having left the Edmonton area around 9 in the morning.

Fella did almost all the driving, for the entire trip that started here in the countryside, went through the Rocky Mountains and back again, then north and finally home, ultimately traversing the three western provinces. I didn’t mind letting him drive; it left me free to read, although I didn’t do much of that.

We did try listening to a talking book, a mystery by Alexander McCall Smith, who wrote the Ladies’ Detective Agency book that has been made into a TV series. I had forgotten that I didn’t like that book much, either, but got a quick reminder why when we got to chapter 3 and still nothing had happened. Nada. I popped that CD out of the player and we listened to Alison Krauss and Robert Plant instead, and Roy Forbes, and the Black Crowes, and a classic rock station on the radio, when we could get it.

When I did read, it was a collection of Gloria Steinem’s essays: Outrageous Acts and Everyday Rebellions, and The Letters of Arthur Conan Doyle, and Jane and the Canterbury Tale, the most recent in the series starring Jane Austen as a sharp-eyed sleuth.

The trip out to BC and for the first couple days wasn’t very enjoyable. I’d been foolish enough to agree to transport an untrained puppy from one sister to the other, and regretted that before we’d been gone 12 hours… was so overwhelmed that by the first morning I was calling the airport to see if the pup could be shipped that way, and considered turning around and going back home. However, once we made it to our destination and handed the pup over to his new owners, I could relax — someone else could watch every moment to make sure the tiny furball didn’t piss or shit on our host’s carpet (causing me to gag when cleaning it up), or chew up the baseboards. I did fall in love with the little tyke though, and felt a pang when we left him behind.

Fella and I made it almost seven hours enclosed together in the cab of the truck, without bickering. Unfortunately, the second leg of the trip took nine hours. We spent the last two not speaking. I’m not sure what he was thinking, but I was deciding never to travel with him again because he always manages to piss me off so much. He had been protesting my “carefully planned itinerary” (which he’d previously approved) after realizing we would be spending two more nights with my family and friends than with his. I let it sit for a day or two, then told him that after 11 years together, his family and friends are my family and friends, and vice versa, so just smarten up.

Anyway, we’re home. I planned to spend today back at my usual schedule, but woke up with a migraine and ended up sleeping till 2:30 this afternoon instead. About the time Fella came home and climbed in beside me, and we had a fine, fine lie-down in the afternoon sunshine streaming through our bedroom window.